We have advanced skills in qualitative research using contemporary and traditional methods for deep understanding
Our qualitative research methods
- One-on-one interviews, conducted by phone, or face to face or online
- Face to face and online focus groups
- Online bulletin board groups / communities
We use these on their own or as hybrids - for example one-on-ones and face to face groups; ethnography and semiotics; one and ones and online .....
Please visit our blog posts on qualitative research here
Our qualitative research philosophy
Qualitative research needs to be designed by people who understand people, as we do.
We are trained in the social sciences and the humanities. We understand motivations, perceptions, cognitive schemas, and rituals and we appreciate the power of the imagination.
We base our qualitative research as far as possible on understanding behaviour and potential behaviour in context. We know that direct questioning is of limited use. So we
- Use the stories that people tell about themselves as our 'way in' to understanding how they made sense of their experiences.
- Draw on the art of conversation during long face to face interviews, so we can talk and listen to people describe their needs, and perceptions.
- Conduct immersive ethnographic in-situ interviews, to find out what life is really like.
- Use creativity and play to create a stimulating environment in focus groups to explore and test out ideas, brand narratives and product opportunities.
We have fine-tuned traditional techniques such as projective techniques and laddering, make extensive use of implicit techniques such as tasks and observation, and combine that with a sense of excitement about what technology can bring to research.
Our qualitative research gives clients deep understanding and insight because we
- Let people speak
- Bring our understanding of people to our clients' business or organisational problem
- Challenge our clients' perceptions and assumptions about their customers and market
- Help our clients understand customers and markets that are new to them
- Help our clients see which direction to follow.
We reveal how our clients' products and services fit into the rich tapestry of people's lives. We then advise clients how to optimise brands, products and services and how to communicate to people in ways they will find most meaningful.
See here - the types of qualitative research projects we conduct.
We use qualitative research stand-alone, or as a stage in survey development.
Sue is a regular speaker at AMSRS workshops and training courses on qualitative research.